Archive for April, 2010

Morning Tea with Christine

image

Advertisements

Leave a comment »

Rob Gordon speaking in St Andrews

image

Leave a comment »

Calling all Writers

image

Leave a comment »

Horticulture Workshop

image

Leave a comment »

Minutes of the meeting of the SACBRA 19/4/2010

Minutes of the meeting of the SACBRA committee,

held at St Andrews Community Centre on Monday 19 April 2010.

Present: Ian, Elizabeth, Helen, Stuart, Manninder, Ken, Warwick, Gail, Maria, Martha (community visitor) & Cath Botta (Regional Development).

Apologies: Peter, Cathy.

Meeting opened at 7.00pm.

· Presentation by Cath Botta:

Regional Development is a company tasked with preparing an

evaluation report of how CRCs have evolved, how they have

interacted with VBRRA, how they have interacted with other

statutory bodies, and providing an opportunity for Community

Leadership Development.

Cath posed 4 questions:

o What are SACBRA’s current key challenges,

o What do we see as the key challenges in 6 months time,

o How has SACBRA’s role changed, and

o Can we define our major support needs?

These were answered with diverse responses.

· Chairman’s Report:

It was agreed to accept the broad principles in the circulated New

Focus documents:

o Issue Description & Future Focus.

Using these as an over-arching guide, the meeting considered

matters raised by the Black Belt residents’ survey & their

discussion night, which had 61 adults, representing 31 families.

There was unanimity that practical help could best be delivered by

having specific ‘Task Groups’.

These Groups would become community groups, with SACBRA

being the decision maker in terms of approving submitted budgets.

It would be necessary to prepare generic briefs to guide each Task

Group.

(Subsequently, it was decided that a meeting of members

interested in preparing these briefs would meet at Ian’s home

on Thursday 22 April at 2.00pm).

Ken reported that he and David L had met with VBRRA

representatives, and that:

o SACBRA is to provide further details on fencing & bridges,

o SACBRA is to provide 5 case studies information,

o VBRRA will follow up on environmental issues re the Recycling to Recovery Fund ,

o VBRRA clarified the position regarding number of applications permitted under Hazardous Trees Removal Grant,

o VBRRA are awaiting legal opinion re dam silting,

o VBRRA will follow up on Hardship Grants from the Buddhist Foundation, and

o Maria will organise a meeting between our Building sub-

Committee and Hank/Jake, VBRRA Building Advisers.

It was decided to expand the SACBRA Newsletter in order to

better report these activities, and participation opportunities.

· Minutes of the previous meeting of 29 March were confirmed

(Warwick/Ken).

· Treasurer’s Report:

Ken has completed the change-over of bank signatories.

With Amber Dixon, Ken has completed the Acquittal Forms for

earlier Winter events (details below).

Ken presented invoices for payment from:

Ken $400.00 (reimbursement to Smiths Gully Store for function food)

Cathy $88.74 (Back Belt night & survey costs)

Helen $132.00 (flowers for council girls’ help)

It was agreed (Ken/Warwick) that the Report be adopted and the

invoices be paid.

· Council Report:

Gail provided a funding diagram, with details on how things are

paid for, and by whom.

Gail will get clarification on the Men’s Shed: building and

coordinator’s wages.

· VBRRA Report:

Maria advised:

That the $40,000 for our communications group budget had been

approved.

Christmas Hills CRC were to become a separate entity.

St Andrews Skills for Environmental Studies $7,500 was approved

in March.

When VBRRA ends, they will have tried to link donors to projects,

so that funding streams remain open.

· Sub-committee Reports:

o Building:

Manninder advised that they were trying to get a

representative from Sustainability Victoria to their next

meeting.

o Community Centre:

Ian advised that there was disappointment at not being able

to proceed, due to the hold-up occasioned by the query over

money diversion.

Their next meeting will be held on 17 May.

Melissa has resigned as chair and member of the steering

committee and from the Community Centre committee.

Marq Bellingham is the new steering committee chair.

o Communications:

The SMS re the burn-off in Wild Dog Creek Rd was only

available to SACBRA members; we need to get more St

Andrews residents to join up, so everyone can be included in

future advice.

We will advertise this need in both the SACBRA and

Nillumbik Newsletters, and Gail will investigate other ways

in which the shire might be able to assist in promotion.

o Governance & Grants:

It was agreed (Ken/Quentin) that:

Amber Dixon be authorised by SACBRA to certify the 2009

Winter Events Acquittals as the nominated SACBRA Gift

Recipient”, and

“That SACBRA certifies the following 2009 Winter Events

were held to assist the bushfire affected community of and

surrounding St Andrews:

Family dinner $2,500

Shed therapy $500

Billy Cart Race $2,000

Community breakfast $4,806 (includes $4,506 for 3 marquees – capital purchase)

Christmas Hills social $500

Chick flick $600

Celebrating St Andrews $25,000

and authorises submission of the Acquittal Forms to

VBRRA”.

· General business:

o It was agreed (Ian/Ken) to send a letter of thanks to Amber for her work helping with the completion of the Winter Acquittal Forms.

o It was confirmed that Peter Richards is SACBRA’s registered Public Officer.

o It was agreed (Warwick/Stuart) that a letter be sent to all Black Belt recipients of computer screens, informing them that, while SACBRA was not currently seeking reimbursement, ownership of the screens remained with SACBRA, due to the prohibition of vesting SACBRA monies to private individuals.

o Ian advised that he would organise the disbursement of the Harry Potter books in accordance with the agreed formula.

o There was a general interest in hosting another Beyond Blue

training session: Warwick to liaise with them.

o Quentin agreed to start off work on establishing the volunteer

working bees project.

o Since it was consistent with the Constitution (s 10.9), Quentin did not proceed with his Notice of Motion, but there was clear support for the concept that, while any community member was welcome to attend any SACBRA committee meeting, only committee members could be heard and/or vote, save by leave of the chair in respect to being heard.

The next meeting will be on Monday 17 May at the Primary

School.

Meeting closed at 9.45pm.

Leave a comment »

Rising from the Ashes

image

Leave a comment »

SACBRA Minutes 29/3/2010

Minutes of the meeting of the SACBRA committee,

held at St Andrews Primary School on Monday 29 March 2010.

Present: Ian, Peter, Elizabeth, Helen, Stuart, Manninder, Ken, Warwick, Cathy, Gail, Maria.

Apologies: Quentin.

Meeting commenced at 8.05pm.

· Chairman’s Report:

o Toni-anne’s resignation was accepted with regret.

Actions:

It was agreed (Warwick/Ken) that the committee’s thanks and appreciation for Toni-anne’s enthusiasm and commitment be minuted but, in accordance with her wishes, no formal letter is sent.

o Discussion took place on the survey among the Black Belt residents.

Actions:

It was agreed (Ian/Elizabeth) that Ken & David L be authorised to contact VBRRA, council and any other relevant statutory authority in respect of community concerns relating to the allocation of VBAF monies, including querying the reported 80/20 split, establishing what are the community/private entitlements/allocations, and how can ‘things’ be made to happen as opposed to why ‘things’ can’t happen.

On behalf of BB residents, a number of key questions will be posed to Christine Nixon at the public meeting, and it was agreed that the MC be advised to give such questions priority.

· Minutes of the previous meeting of March 15 were confirmed (Warwick/Stuart).

· Treasurer’s Report:

o Ken advised that, after council’s contribution of $5,000, our account stood at $10,139.

An outstanding invoice from Diamond Valley Hire was forwarded to council for payment.

Ken is still awaiting a formal invoice for the BBL bus trip to Inverloch.

Actions:

Peter requires a copy of the receipt for the jumping castles, so that we can recover some funds from Strathewen CRC, and Ken will locate this.

Subject to Gail’s clarification, of the monies allocated for commemorative functions, approx $3,000 had been spent, with a further $22,000 in trust.

Warwick to contact Amber re helping Ken with acquittal forms completion.

Ken noted that there seemed to be ambiguity over who is SACBRA’s Public Officer:

This will be clarified by the next committee meeting by Ken/Warwick.

The Report was accepted (Ken/Stuart).

· VBRRA Report (Maria):

o Most Community Recovery Projects have had their scoping submissions forwarded to VBAF for consideration.

o Outstanding Projects are:

· Communications:

· Community Centre: Awaiting further details from steering committee.

o If VBAF monies can’t be spent in BB, then there is less BB objection to the Project.

o Other Projects:

· Men’s Shed:

· Walking Track: Delayed; awaiting better planning & details & survey impact.

· Based on BB survey results, the Audio/Visual proposal has little support.

o Projects that have had funding approval:

· Fire Awareness $50,000

· Re-building $120,000

· Events $47,000

o There is a community perception that SACBRA is sitting on significant monies, but is unwilling to commit it to private needs:

· This perception issue will be addressed at the public meeting.

· Council Report (Gail):

o Registered Grant Recipient:

Gail asked committee to minute any decision on if SACBRA is to be the recipient of grant monies, understanding the legal liabilities imposed on the membership by such a decision, or have council nominated to RDV as our preferred grant recipient.

Action:

This matter will be dealt with formally at the next committee meeting.

o SACBRA Newsletter:

· There has been some criticism that our Newsletter is too council-centric, and needs to be more a community Newsletter.

Action:

· Comments noted, and there will be an attempt to get more local input.

o Youth worker:

There has been criticism of the advice that council had employed a new youth worker, with some view that VBAF money ought not to be used for such a purpose.

Action:

o Publicise the fact that the funding for the youth worker position was provided to all fire-affected municipalities by the federal government, not VBAF.

· Sub-committee Reports:

o Building: As per Peter’s previously emailed document.

o Community Centre: As per Stuart’s previously emailed document.

o Communications: Need to establish a sub-committee.

o Grants: Warwick to email mulch offer information.

· General business:

o Harry Potter books:

· It was agreed (Warwick/Stuart) that the HP books be distributed in accordance with the list (attached), which is based on Stuart’s criteria assessment.

o Meeting dates:

· Agreed (Ken/Peter) that the decision of last meeting (15 March 2010) relating to meeting frequency be rescinded, and that the next meetings be as follows, allowing for the Easter break:

· Public meeting: Wednesday 31 March @ Hall @ 6.30pm

· BB only meeting: Sunday 11 April, Shed night @ 5.00pm

Flyer approved (Stuart/Ken) re BB Shed night promotion.

· Committee meetings: Monday 19 April @ Centre @ 7.00pm

Monday 10 May @ School @ time tba

· Business to be carried forward:

o Public Officer:

· Need to confirm who is our registered Public Officer (see under Treasurer).

o LBB repayments for computer screens:

· Held over due to time constraints.

o Grant recipient:

· Formally determine who will be grant recipient and responsible for Projects’ sign-offs (see under Council).

· Power Point presentation (‘dry run’ for public meeting):

o Ian displayed slides and spoke to them, with some changes suggested by the committee.

o The structure and timing of the meeting was outlined, and Jo Hayter is the likely MC.

o Vin McKay (council) will talk of council’s role in addressing:

Roads, erosion, dams, fencing, work on private properties and youth worker funding.

o Christine Nixon will:

o Be clarifying VBAF funding entitlements vis-à-vis individuals/community,

o Highlighting the importance & relevance of community re-building,

and

o Acknowledging the role & work of SACBRA.

o Stuart Morgan will speak as a representative of the Black Belt people.

o Ian Flack will present the SACBRA story.

o There will be ample question time at the conclusion of presentations.

Meeting closed at 10.50pm.

Leave a comment »