Engaging a Builder
Wednesday 30th September 7.00 – 9.00pm
St. Andrews Community Hall.
Proctor St (and Burns St) St. Andrews
Most people have never had to build their own home or engage a builder to do so.
What should you do when engaging a builder? What should you look for and what should you be aware of? (Especially regarding contracts and variations).
The best way to avoid problems when building is to be aware of the owner and builder’s responsibilities and to consider all foreseeable issues before they become problems.
The seventh co-operative venture between the Strathewen and St Andrews Rebuilding groups will be a forum for people who are thinking about rebuilding and who are looking to engage a builder to construct and are looking for information and advice regarding the engagement of builders.
Presentations will include:
· Victorian Bushfire Reconstruction and Recovery Authority. VBRRA Building Advisors will provide a presentation on how they can help and some items to look for when building.
· Consumer Affairs Victoria. CAV usually get involved with domestic building projects once problems arise and cannot be reconciled contractually. David Walker will present on what the contract process is and what issues can arise.
· Fasham Johnson Builders. As a medium sized residential builder, they are involved with residential contracts. They will speak on their experiences.
· Master Builders Association Victoria. Geoff Woolcock will speak on the MBAV and what they would advise people to look for engaging a builder.
The forum will consist of a short presentation from each presenter with question time after, and then the opportunity to speak in small round table groups with presenters.
A range of questions will be answered with particular attention paid to:
· What you need to look for in building contracts to help ensure a smooth building process.
If there’s something you want to know which isn’t on the list simply include these questions with your RSVP and we will endeavour to provide the information you need. Let your neighbors know and please let us know how many are coming so we can cater.
Afternoon tea is provided afterwards which provides a chance to speak with other residents going through the same process.
Please RSVP (so we can arrange catering) to
Callum Donoghue firstname.lastname@example.org 0414 932 051
Karl Apted email@example.com